Sunday, May 8, 2011

Other Projects

Postcards to Politicians
A few weeks ago, while having dinner with a friend, she was lamenting our sluggishness in the area of political activism.  I could not disagree. 

As a college student, I began thinking critically about our world and was moved to become an active participant in the political process--protesting, being a vocal advocate for issues of importance to me, and writing to politicians.  As I enter my 30s, I find that my enthusiasm for such political action is diminished.  The busyness of daily life and the regularity the workplace has lulled me into inaction.  As someone who sincerely cares about living a life of intention, with attention to social justice, I think it is important to be an active participant in our political process.

When I asked my friend what she thought we should do to combat our lack of political involvement, she said, "I don't know, maybe write more letters to politicians."  And so, I will.  My goal is to write a postcard to a politician each week on a topic of importance to me.  Frankly, it feels a bit meaningless, but it also feels valuable and an act of intention.  Gandhi said it well, "You may think your actions are meaningless and that they won't help, but that is no excuse, you must still act."
Since I'm a watercolor painter each of these postcards will feature a quick painting.  Perhaps receiving a piece of original art in the mail will catch the eye of the staffer who sorts mail from constituents.  My solitary letters will be mailed away to my U.S. and state representatives, my senators, my alderman, my governor, my president.  Won't you join me, I know it seems pointless, but you must still act.

Any types for effective communication with our elected officials?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment