Thursday, December 5, 2013

Shall we dwell in possibility?


With the passing of Thanksgiving and the design of a holiday postcard, I’ve been reflecting on Emily Dickenson’s poem “I dwell in Possibility.”

The poem reads:
“I dwell in Possibility –
A fairer House than Prose –
More numerous of Windows –
Superior – for Doors –

Of Chambers as the Cedars –
Impregnable of eye –
And for an everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky –

Of Visitors – the fairest –
For Occupation – This –
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise –“

In reflecting with gratitude for the year gone by and celebrating the new start of the coming year, I feel aware that the possibility of the present is where I desire to dwell. It’s easy to yearn to hold onto the experiences of days gone by or to project ourselves into a positive or negative future. I will struggle mightily though, to be present to myself and others in the each moment, and to behold the possibility that exists there.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment