Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Lake Series

These paintings are from a weekend camping trip in late July to Illinois Beach State Park in Zion.  It was my first trip to the park, which is only 40 miles north of Chicago.  The campgrounds are located directly on Lake Michigan and as always I marveled at how different the Lake feels outside of Chicago--bigger and cleaner perhaps.
We spent nearly a full day on Saturday, at the beach, alternatively lounging on the beach and dipping into the refreshing water.  It was a perfect opportunity for me to continue my summer lake series.  It was a beautiful day, beautiful skies, which changed throughout the course of the day.
These three paintings were quick sketch paintings I made that day.  I painted them on illustration board (I typically paint on watercolor paper).  I enjoyed experimenting with the paint on the smooth, slow drying boards. 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment