Friday, April 8, 2011

Featured Artist

Heather Snider
Heather Snider has a BFA from NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) and has worked as an artist, as well as, a scenic artist for the film industry for several years. Currently, she is working towards a degree in art education.

The work featured here are "Art Cards, Editions and Originals" ACEOs, which are an offshoot of Artist Trading Cards (or ATCs).  ATCs are miniature works of art about the same size as modern baseball cards (2 ½ X 3 ½ inches).  The ATC movement developed out of the mail art movement and has its origins in Switzerland.  The cards are usually traded or exchanged rather than sold.  ACEOs originated when some artists began to create cards to sell, in addition to trading among themselves.
"Birds of America No. 8", mini original art collage, Heather Snider
Is there something you’ve found particularly appealing or challenging about the small size of art cards (2.5”x3.5” format)?
    I have been making art cards since 2007; actually since I first joined Etsy.  At first, I found the size challenging, but now I am accustomed to the format.  I use the art card as my daily art making activity or my “sketchbook”.  I like that compared to an actual book, I can work on each card independently and not think about the page before or after, or have the pressure of completing a whole “sketchbook”. 
     Also, I like that every card has its own personality and that each one develops a relationship with my other cards. In the creative process, rather than dictating what the card is going to be, I allow each card to reveal its own personality as much as possible. 
"For Defense", mini original art collage, Heather Snider
Where have you found the best materials to use in your art collages?
    I have found materials in a whole range of places: the internet, my daily travels, etc. I am always on the look out.  Also, I have my closest friends on the look out for me, as well! 
     I am drawn to vintage paper materials.  I like the textures, surfaces, and patterns they create.  Additionally, I like that the vintage materials give the finished pieces a sense of nostalgia because I work associatively (meaning that I make random connections) and I often draw from my memory of events, places, times, people and things. 
"After the Fiesta", mini original art collage, Heather Snider
Are there particular mediums or themes that you hope to explore in your upcoming projects?
    I am always developing ideas for new works.  Unfortunately, there is only 24 hours in a day!  Right now, I have started oil painting again and I am working on developing a series of “mini portraits”.  I hope to create a new Etsy store for the series in the upcoming months.
     Also, I plan to continue my current art card practice.  I look forward to seeing where the art cards lead, and how the forms, shapes, and patterns I use change and develop overtime.
"Over Pass", mini original art collage, Heather Snider
Many thanks to Heather for sharing her work!  These fantastic art cards are only $12, check out her Etsy shop!

Were you familiar with ACEOs?  What do you think of Heather's "sketchbook" of art cards?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment