Friday, August 19, 2011

Featured Artist

Mary Rae
Mary Rae has always loved painting and drawing and was fortunate enough to have an artist mother who encouraged her from an early age. She paints people, flowers landscapes, and photographs the endlessly beautiful skies of South Florida. She would name as a few of her favorite artists as: Titian, Raphael, Goya, El Greco, Watteau, Manet, Renoir, Marin, Roualt, and many more. 
In addition to painting, she is also a writer and a composer of contemporary classical music.
You work with watercolor, as well as oil. What do you find inspiring about each medium?
I love watercolor for its transparency and oil for its beautiful intensity and malleability. But my experience with one carries over to the other and I often like sheer, glaze effects in oil, and very deep colors in watercolor. The important thing is to capture something of beauty, and I try and work whatever the medium, until the picture sings.

Does your photography influence your work as a painter?
I think it’s the other way around. I believe my years of painting and, most importantly looking at paintings, has helped me develop an eye for creative opportunity in the natural world. I see loveliness in nature through my love of painting.

Are there new themes or mediums you anticipate exploring in your upcoming work?
I’m very excited to be adding new work to what I call my Spiritual Series. I am also a writer, and have published a translation of the exquisite poetry of St. John of the Cross. I included watercolor illustrations which I am just now having made into archival prints. I am also working on new pictures which have spiritual depth and meaning to me, and hope they will have meaning for others.

Many thanks to Mary Rae for sharing her fantastic paintings!

What do you think of her landscapes and still lifes?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment