Friday, January 14, 2011

Featured Artist

Mark Mardirosian
Mark Mardirosian recently retired from a career as an Architect and has enjoyed having time to devote to his passion for the creation of art from everyday objects. He defines his work as Bricolage, a term used in several disciplines, among them the visual arts and literature, to refer to the construction or creation of a work from a diverse range of things that happen to be available, or a work created by such a process.
Where does the term bricolage come from?
The term is borrowed from the French word bricolage, from the verb bricoler, the core meaning in French being, "fiddle, tinker" and, by extension, "to make creative and resourceful use of whatever materials are at hand (regardless of their original purpose)". 
Rose Birdhouse, bricolage, Mark Mardirosian, 2010
Where do you find the objects used in your work and what influences the form of your pieces?
My art takes the form of usable objects that I reinvigorate and redefine using discarded everyday familiar objects, ephemera and castoffs of the past as a palette for my work. I think of myself as an urban hunter-gatherer and assemble materials from a variety of sources. I am constantly on the lookout for the unusual as well as the mundane and my family and friends share the search. My architectural background has a strong influence on the direction and complexity of my work which has taken the form of bird houses, boxes and furniture
Tampon Dispenser, bricolage, Mark Mardirosian, 2009
How do you you describe your work?
My work can be nostalgic, historical, or just plain whimsical, juxtaposing memories and knickknacks that are castoffs of everyday activities. I am a lifelong Detroiter, although currently living in Grosse Pointe Park, consequently much of my work will contain objects and memories of forgotten Detroit. I aspire to make people smile as they catch something familiar from their own personal history
Bottle Cap Men, bricolage, Mark Mardirosian, 2008
Many thanks to Mark for sharing his wonderful work!  You can see more of Mark's work at the City Bird and at Paint Creek Center for the Arts.  Also, be sure to visit his blog.
Decorated Cigar Boxes, bricolage, Mark Mardirosian, 2009 
What do you think of Mark's creations?
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. We loved having Mark's work here at Paint Creek Center for the Arts.

    ReplyDelete