Sunday, January 23, 2011

Other Projects

Listening to This American Life
I don't really watch a whole lot of TV, but I am rather fond of a few radio programs.  This American Life is among my favorites.  I love that the This American Life website has an archive of every episode, so I thought I would a few of my favorites with you.
Going Big
Paul Tough reports on the Harlem Children's Zone, and its CEO and president, Geoffrey Canada. Among the project's many facets is Baby College, an 8-week program where young parents and parents-to-be learn how to help their children get the education they need to be successful. Tough';s just-published book about Geoffrey Canada and the Harlem's Children Zone is called Whatever It Takes. You can see a slideshow of more photographs from the project here.

The Harlem Children Zone's Jeffrey Canada was also prominately featured in a recent education documentary: Waiting for Superman, which was rather interesting as well.





My Pen Pal
The story of a ten-year-old girl from small town Michigan named Sarah York, and how she became pen pals with a man who was considered an enemy of the United States, a dictator, a drug trafficker, and a murderer: Manuel Noriega.

Break Up
In the wake of a break-up, writer Starlee Kine finds so much comfort in break-up songs that she decides to try and write one herself—even though she has no musical ability whatsoever. For some help, she goes to a rather surprising expert on the subject: Phil Collins.

Stories pitched by our parents
After listening to this episode, I was endlessly amused by saying, "She was a good lay........dy."

Fear of Sleep
Mike Birbiglia is a really entertaining story teller and the science is rather interesting.  I was fascinated by the fact that normal bodies produce a chemical which paralyzes us during sleep, preventing us from acting out our dreams.

What are your favorite radio programs?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment