Friday, January 21, 2011

Featured Artist

Anna See
After often being admonished for “being all over the place,” Anna See finally realized that it’s okay to challenge yourself and explore, and that versatility can be a strength.  Her many interests and love of all kinds of art is evident and she hopes to continue to explore the different avenues the art field has to offer. Anna currently resides in Pasadena, CA, where she graduated from Art Center College of Design with Honors, works at UCLA Center X as a graphic designer, and is currently open to freelance opportunities. Most recently, her work will soon be carried by Urban Outfitters.
The Raccoons,  5" x 7",  Cut Tissue Paper,  Ink,  Linocut,  Hand-pulled print,  Anna See,  2010
Given your varied artistic interests, have you found yourself particularly inspired by a particular medium recently?
I've become obsessed with tissue paper and just handmade papers in general. I'm fascinated by non-traditional mediums, and have been using tissue paper (the kind you wrap gifts/clothes with) in my shoe block prints for some time now. More recently, I've transitioned to scanning it and using it in my digital work.
Great Horned Owl, 5" x 7", Oil Paint, Linocut, Hand-pulled print, Anna See, 2009
A large number of your illustrations feature birds, including their silly antics and those you see in Southern California.  Is there something in particular that draws your to illustrate birds?
Living in the urban sprawl that is LA, I find that it's often hard to witness wildlife/nature firsthand, unless I make an effort to. Birds are something I encounter on a day-to-day basis -- viewed from my car while stuck in traffic, walking to the store, at the park, etc. No matter where you are, you will always find some kind of bird and I find that comforting. In general, I'm drawn to all kinds of "wild" creatures that come in to regular contact with human beings (squirrels, insects, possums, etc.) as this often urban human-to-animal relationship really interests me.
Christian Louboutin Anemone Pumps, 5" x 7", Cut Tissue Paper, Ink, Linocut, Hand-pulled print, Anna See, 2010
Do you have any goals or resolutions related your art for 2011?
I'd love to explore how my art can translate to different applications -- clothing, home goods, etc and would like to somehow get my art out there to a wider audience. First, I need to get better at actually finishing my many projects! I'd also like to chance pursuing my work full-time (God-willing)!!
Siamese Twins, 8.5" x 11", Scanned Papers, Ink, Digital, Anna See, 2010
Many thanks to Anna for sharing her fantastic work.  Be sure to check out more of her work.

What do you think of Anna's prints?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment